Major Project

   

23/04/2024 - 09/08/2024 | Week 1 - 15
Shofwa Alyadiena | 0350019
Major Project | Bachelor of Design in Creative Media


Lectures

Week 1

As per usual, the module started with a brief introduction with the guide of the information booklet. Mr Azrizal and Mr Kannan were both present to give us pointers regarding the Major Project. It was mainly suggestions on the flow of the project creation. Some tips taught to us included creating a to-do list with a hierarchy of priorities.

First, we were given three "pathways" for the topic of our major projects:
1. Looking back to our dissertation
2. Look for a client
3. Create from scratch, with limits.

Creating from scratch would need to answer the following questions:
a. What is the purpose?
b. Who benefits from it?
c. What problems are being solved?

We were advised to stray from mental and social issues, although the reason was simply that it's been done too many times, which felt repetitive. We're aiming to create something different, or approaching a problem that's rarely touched. In giving us this talk, we were also introduced to the "Blue Ocean Strategy".

After a quick search, the term "Blue Ocean" refers to a market with no competition, equating to a wide, clean area (hence the name Blue Ocean). The strategy has previously been used by companies like AirAsia, Grab, and Airbnb. The technology (in this case, it is synonymous with design) is the only thing that's owned, none of the properties such as cars and housing is under the app itself.



Instructions 

Module Information Booklet


Idea Exploration and Proposals

Fig. 1.1 Week 1-5 Progression (21/05/2024)


Fig. 1.2 Week 6-1 Progression (25/06/2024)


Fig. 1.3 Week 12 Presentation Slides (02/07/2024)


Submission

Artbook

Inside the artbook are Environment, Character, 3D Model designs, including its reasoning process.

Fig. 2.1 Final Artbook (2/8/2024)


Comic Pages

Read it here or through this link (Webtoon)

2.2 Final Comic (2/8/2024)


Merchandise

For the merchandise, I wanted to create either postcards or stickers as prints. Upon asking everyone, they liked the idea of small keychains so I made a few of them. For the postcards, I created somewhat symbolic ones, ensuring the characters were accompanied by something related to their characteristic or lore. 

Fig. 2.3 Final Postcards (31/7/2024)

For the keychains, however, I wanted them to be small-sized, and since my style cannot be compressed into small sizes, I decided to make chibi versions!

Fig. Keychain Designs (Without Cutout line)(13/7/2024)



Feedback

In-Class

These feedbacks were given by supervisors in class and during week 12 presentation.

  • Stop writing so much (sob.... but world building.....)
  • Take inspiration from Thundercats, Superman, Monster.
  • make sure I can provide a reference to the abilities I have as an entertainment designer: environment, characters, 3D models, and prop design.
  • Use a font more reminiscent of comics.
  • Improve the cover art.
  • Re-check the anatomy of the female character designs.
  • Use a different font more suitable for the cover art.

Exhibition

These feedbacks were given by supervisors and peers.

  • Good work, could improve on time management.
  • Would love to see it as a game.
  • The colours and rendering are great.
  • Need to have better communication with the manufacturers (printing, charms)
  • 3D model is good!



Reflection: 

My experience making the major project was fun. I made some mistakes in the module selection early on and got bombarded with tasks and had less time to focus on the comic. However, I did get to create at least a short story with characters I care about and some representation. It meant a lot to me to expand my character creation abilities, both in ethnicity, age and gender. 

Furthermore, it was extremely difficult to make a story that was satisfying, mainly because it was impossible to flesh out the world building (my favourite part!!) with the time given, and I made so much error that I almost got sick of it. Sometimes there were feedbacks (for example, the cover page was lacking) that I could not amend because it would hinder the progress of the following production. There was really no time to waste, but I've kept them thoroughly in my thoughts and intent to apply them for a better portfolio. It felt less passionate as time went on, but I was able to experience first-time what it was like and what efforts go into making the media I love most. I'm grateful to be able to create art no matter the circumstance.

The experience with printing was also incredibly frustrating, as I've done everything on time for errors to be fixed, yet the communication was lacking so that I ended up receiving final products rather late, and with a major mistake that had for some reason gone underlooked by the printing shop. However, I'm glad to make this mistake now rather than later.

Finally, during the exhibition, I was so thankful to everyone who came by and wished me well and told me what they thought about it. At first, I was reluctant to explain that the original story was supposed to be a commentary of capitalism, but after I explain them more and more I understood that everyone was either in curious or in agreement. I really appreciated everyone's kind words and feedbacks, and the joy in having the batch's works around me and making fanart for them was such a delight!! I hope to do something similar to this in the future and have more fun in doing so. 

If anyone's at all curious, watch out for a visual novel in the making!

Comments